The Meconopsis Group

Forum

Notifications
Clear all

Meconopsis Seed  

Meconopsis_Matt
Eminent Member

Here is a picture of something i grew from the seed exchange years ago. Its a M. rudis and it seeds its self around my rockery freely. Every year without fail these these plants pop up at different stages. its monocarpic and takes between 2 and 3 years from seed to flowers.

1594394367-20200614_122422185_iOS.jpg
Posted : 10/07/2020 4:19 pm
Poppy Girl

The best germination from the 2019 seed exchange this year for me was Meconopsis dhwojii and Meconopsis punicea 'Sichuan Silk', the perennial one. Both were overwintered outdoors and brought in to a cold greenhouse 1st March 2020, already showing some signs of germination. They were pricked out middle of April. I have already potted the punicea ones on again and will do the Dwojii ones this afternoon. This year they all seem more robust than previous years so will get them out in to the borders earlier than normal. I am thinking the warmer temperatures in April and May have helped, 😎 but of course meant I had to watch the watering as well. 

1594821769-2019-seed.jpg
ReplyQuote
Posted : 15/07/2020 3:02 pm
Meconopsis_Matt
Eminent Member

Wow, they look amazing Sharon. Mine are a fraction of that size. Funny I had poor germination of punicea. Perhaps there is more to come in the autumn as is often the case.

i will try to post a picture of some of this years seedlings.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 15/07/2020 4:13 pm
sheffbotprop

Wow, Sharon. I haven't germinated any punicea for years. Where did the seed come from ? Don't even remember the Sechuan Silk as an option in the seed exchange.  Like you, though, I have had good success with M.dhwojii and have been offering plants for sale.

We raise plants for Sheffield Botanic Gardens both to plant in the gardens and to sell to raise money for the gardens. No conventional sales this year - impossible to create safe social distancing - so we produce regular (weekly up to now) lists of plants that are ready for sale and circulate them to anyone who asks for a list. So far about 150 subscribers although only half actually purchase anything. Nevertheless we have outmatched what we would mormally have sold by our conventional sales. The only limitations are that we put more effort into growing plants for new areas we are creating in the gardens and so have fewer plants to sell to the public for the rest of the year.

Biggest successes this year are finally to get a certain amount of germination of Meconopsis paniculata after failing completely for several years. M. staintonii and M. napaulensis (hort) - which seem indistinguishable in leaf - have germinated freely from our own seed (staintonii) or the distribution (napaulensis(hort)).  So-called Meconopsis baileyi x latifolia  was the first to germinate and has produced great plants. Still not sure what it is but it is distinguishable from any other M. baileyi that I have raised both in leaf and flower.

But the list of failures is enormous and Trish is insisting that I cut down next year - we have hundreds of other plants to look after but I do need enough plants to keep the small bed I have established looking interesting. The stars this year were the M. gakyidiana  now in their second year and nearly six feet tall. I hope that I get fertile seed from them this year but with the range of plants in the bed I am doing everything wrong to ensure viable and 'correct' seed.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 17/07/2020 10:27 pm
Tristan_He

@poppy-girl Very impressive! How do you get your punicea to germinate? I have tried many sowings of this from a number of sources and have had perhaps two seeds germinate! ☹ 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 18/07/2020 9:37 am
Poppy Girl

Morning Tristan.  It has to be fresh seed.  As soon as its gathered and ensured it is dry, I store in a paper bag in the fridge until ready to sow.  I usually sow by the latest late OCTOBER early NOVEMBER in Scotland. Sow thinly on the surface of a general seed compost. I then lightly cover with fine alpine grit and then leave outdoors all winter, protected with chicken wire to stop the birds eating it.  Its better when it gets snow and cold temperatures. Normally I bring in to cold greenhouse or cold frame early March and it usually shows within a few weeks. I always leave until they have their second set or true leaves before I would pot on in to a Multi purpose compost. Sometimes if they dont seem to be moving on much when still in the seed compost I might give a very weak feed with Tomato food.

Two is a good start believe me and then you get desperate to learn and experiment.  I hope the two you did get surived so you can gather your own seed.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 18/07/2020 10:17 am
Poppy Girl

@sheffbotprop Hi Peter  By the sounds of it you are doing well in these difficult circumstances. Isnt it typical that you actually have moved on more from compilling a list of plants.  I too have had some lovely M.complexa and another pure white one that is about 6 feet tall. Like Trish, Jim is always on at me as sometimes if I run out of time to tidy up before he comes in it can lay there until a few days later if busy!

I definatley got the Dhwojji from the seed exchange but now am wondering if my memory is working tricks and it was my own M.Sichaun silk seeds that I had. Either way they are a delight this year. What you see in those pots is all I have left as I have had to give away a lot to gardening chums in the village as I just dont have the room to store and nurse or plant them. Some of those in the pots too are promised to a member, just waiting on lockdown improving a bit here!

By the sounds of it your M.Gakyidiana sound wonderful. Please if you have taken any photographs of them post them on here or forward them to Margaret Thorne at species-gallery@the meconopsisgroup.org,  either by email or we transfer.  I know they are looking for some images for the species gallery page. 

Its nearly time to start to gather seed and start all over again!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 18/07/2020 4:47 pm
Meconopsis_Matt
Eminent Member

Hi everyone

I decided that the day has come to put some of this years seedlings out into the garden. Hopefully they will be large enough to flourish and put on some growth before the winter sets in.

I have attached a couple of images for you to see. They are in a raised bed with plenty of deep humus rich soil about them and i like to top dress around them with grit just to help the drainage near the crown. What do you think and have you any tips for me?

I look forward to some feedback

1595782100-IMG_3141.jpg
ReplyQuote
Posted : 26/07/2020 5:48 pm
Meconopsis_Matt
Eminent Member

here is another picture of the newly planted seedlings.

this time a M. quintuplinerva

1595782207-IMG_3140.jpg
ReplyQuote
Posted : 26/07/2020 5:50 pm
Meconopsis_Matt
Eminent Member

A few weeks ago i put out some M. aculeata, the slugs loved them. it looks like i caught them in time though as the new leaves are growing. Fingers crossed. This weather is just slug heaven so be warned.

1595782426-IMG_3138.jpg
ReplyQuote
Posted : 26/07/2020 5:53 pm
Share: